Monday, September 24, 2007

video killed the radio star

Fiona McDonald. I used to be your biggest fan. When I was a teenager, you knocked Madonna and Boyz II Men off the NZ music chart. You were so badass and cool, and you were my idol. Everything you touched was gold... Headless Chickens were nothing without you, and you brought Strawpeople out of obscurity and into the radios, tvs and even cd-walkmen of my generation.

But then what happened?

THIS HAPPENED.

You traded your Dr Martens for sensible shoes. You judged NZ Idol, hosted Ten Years Younger, and now you're peddling toilet paper and virtuous domesticity.

The chick I always wished was my big sister, who inspired my rebellion and fuelled my teenage angst has become such a disappointment.

It's so sad what tv can do to someone who was such a radio star. But Fiona, why you? Stevie Nicks isn't selling sugar-free muesli bars, Debbie Harry isn't dressing in cardigans and selling Metamucil.

All I have of you now, Fiona, is the memory of how cool you were.

No comments: