Monday, October 29, 2007

shiny new music makes happy little people

I love that lead-up to Christmas where artists are releasing stuff and announcing they're releasing stuff. It's cool. Goldfrapp have just announced they're bringing out another wee gem in February, which is exciting.

Here's one of my faves from their last two albums, and it has a pretty cool vid too:



Other than that exciting bit of news, I suggest y'all head down to your local music store and wrap your ears around the new Bettye Lavette album called "the scene of the crime". It's fab. This woman can definitely sing and she's so incredibly underrated. Her last album was a collection of covers. Check out her doing Dolly Parton :



PJ Harvey's new album "White Chalk" is one I suggest you don't really bother with. I am a big fan of Polly, always have been. But apart from a few exciting experiments with interesting sounds, and a couple of cool singles, I certainly wouldn't waste my money on an album that sounds alot like all those tracks on her previous albums that you would usually skip.

I have to make mention right now of the coolest thing PJ Harvey ever did though: Desert Sessions. They're a supergroup, made up of various rock stars including PJ Harvey, Josh Homme, Chris Cornell and Twiggy Ramirez. Having gifted the world with the Desert Sessions, I forgive PJ Harvey for any shit that she puts out, ever.



Let's not forget Flight of the Conchords, the comedy duo that New Zealand gave no attention to until they got discovered and made it big in the US. They've released an EP, with their full album coming up shortly. They're very very clever boys, although we have to admit they've been recycling the same stuff for as long as we can remember... it's fun to hear their tracks on the radio at the moment though! Their HBO show rocks. Check it out www.hbo.com/conchords/




and of course there's Kylie to look forward to, although I'm afraid I might be a bit disappointed by her album "X"...



we'll see.

No comments: